Sunday, November 23, 2008

Small Cabinet



There are two steps in this project I really enjoyed. One is the milk paint application process (I recommend anyone interested in finishing know about milk paint) and the other is the hardware antiquing process.

Milk Paint
Check out www.realmilkpaint.com for information about milk paint.
Applying milk paint is easy. It is a very forgiving product, so you don't have to be a professional painter to achieve a great finish. On this cabinet I applied a base coat of black milk paint. Within minutes it is dry and ready for my top coat of red. After applying two coats of red, I sand the entire cabinet with fine sandpaper. The sanding phase is necessary if you want your piece to have a smooth finish, also it's important because I want some of that black base coat to show through, giving the cabinet an aged character. I pay careful attention when sanding edges because one stroke too many will take you down to the wood. Though I like some natural wood showing I don't want it to look abused. There are many ways to protect your milk paint, but it is durable and safe enough to stand on it's own. I put on a satin clear coat to enrich the colors and offer some protection.

Hardware Antiquing
I bought two brass pulls for the doors and one copper pull for the drawer. I didn't know what metals they were until I started stripping the lacquer off of them by boiling baking soda in water. Knowing what metal you are working with is important because different catalysts can have different affects on different metals. For the copper pull I simply poured white vinegar in a jar and placed a block of wood at the bottom of the jar. The copper is placed on the wood, which is not completely submerged in vinegar, and a lid is screwed on the jar. The acidity of the vapors will tarnish the metal green and black. Results may vary depending on vinegar potency and amount of time the metal is left in the jar.


















For the brass pieces, I stripped the lacquer, then dripped nitric acid (10%) on them. I then took a heat gun and waved it over the brass. Sizzling fun began and I was left with this:


Beware of noxious fumes when using nitric acid.



3 comments:

jacnkass said...

WOW!! I'm terribly impressed.

Anonymous said...

Uh Hello? Quiero Mas!!!! I KNOW you have more good stuff waiting in that camera of yours...

Unknown said...

Fantastic! How do I make an order? Better yet, lets build something together.